Ameal Moore Nature Center

The Ameal Moore Nature Center sits at the main trailhead entrance to the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park, a 1,500 acre park that is one of eight protected core reserves designated by the Riverside County Habitat Conservation Agency for the Federally-listed endangered Stephens’ Kangaroo rat. The center offers visitors scheduled naturalist-led nature walks, exhibits, opportunities for experiential, hands-on learning & other programmed events and is home to a naturalist based preschool.

Riverside Citizen Science seeks to engage the community in the observation & documentation of Riverside’s environment & foster an appreciation for the hidden natural world in our urban spaces. Through informal science educational activities & the free Riverside Nature Spotter app, participants in Riverside Citizen Science will ultimately help the Museum develop & maintain a more detailed record of how plant & animal life is changing over time in the park.

The center is operated by the City of Riverside’s Parks, Recreation, & Services Department.

Below is a short promotional video by Sarinah Simmons.

4 Comments on “Ameal Moore Nature Center

  1. Pingback: Reach out for insects! | ecologistinpractice

  2. Pingback: Corona Pointe ResortGo on a Nature Hike In Riverside this September - Corona Pointe Resort

  3. This park needs to be made off limits to bicyclists. Last weekend there was a bicyclist with a machete chopping down the paths along trails that people ride (and walk) on. This is actually illegal. Bicyclists ride through and damage many of the plants. I have also seen people on dirt bikes out there, which is also not permitted. Please make this park a pedestrian park only in order to maintain the vegetation for the animals that survive on it and for the animals in turn who survive on those animals….etc.

    • Hi Roger,

      Thank you for your comment. The Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park is a city owned park that is currently open for bicycles and pedestrian use. We will pass on your concerns to the city and can also give you the information for the Parks and Recreation department, who manage the park. You can reach them at (951) 826-2000. You are correct that it is illegal to damage the wildlife and to operate gas powered vehicles in the park. You can report any violations you see to them as well as file your suggestions about the park. Thank you for taking the time to write in to us! If you would like to follow up, you can contact Kim Cobb at and she will help you further.

Leave a Reply